If you are looking for a fast and frugal meal your whole family will swoon for, this Crunchy Cashew Chicken and Rice will surely fit the bill. It is not only fast to make, but you can purchase all of the ingredients fairly inexpensively. So grab your chopsticks and head to the kitchen, it is time to cook up this tasty meal!
Crunchy Cashew Chicken & Rice
1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken
1 green pepper, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
1 can of water chestnuts, sliced
1 cup of cashews
2 cups of instant white rice
Salt and pepper to taste
Non stick cooking spray
Many people have a hard time finding water chestnuts. They are a canned product, so you can typically find them either by the canned vegetables or near the ethnic foods section.
1. First, spray a small pan with the non-stick spray. On a medium heat, roast the cashews stirring often. Once they are golden, set them aside on a paper towel.
2. Slice the chicken into thin slices and toss them into a pan again coated with some non-stick cooking spray. Keep stirring so the chicken does not stick or overcook. Add in the green pepper and onion and continue to stir well for 10-12 minutes or until the chicken and vegetables are cooked through.
3. Drain and rinse the water chestnuts. Toss them into the mixture. You want to keep them crispy so you do not want to cook the dish for much longer.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste as well as a tablespoon of soy sauce. You can add more soy based on your own tastes if you would like.
5. Remove the mixture from heat and set aside.
6. Cook your instant rice according to directions. It should only take about 7-8 minutes to cook, just enough time for your chicken to set and cool.
7. Stir the cashews into the mixture and pour over your rice. Add additional salt and pepper if you wish as well as additional soy sauce.
Now it is time to dig in! This meal if fun to make, tastes fresh, and is wonderfully frugal. Enjoy it on a night where you think there just isn’t time to sit down to a homemade dinner. You will soon begin to think otherwise!
Head to the store and grab these simple ingredients and see how easy it is to whip up this Crunchy Cashew Chicken. It will soon become one of your new favorite recipes.