If you want to understand how essential oils can help in clearing your sinus and congestion, this post is for you!
Essential oils can make an extremely effective treatment for sinusitis because they are able to soothe both the symptoms and the associated pain. Essential oils from leaves, resins, and woods are effective for respiratory tract infections because they can be drying, soothing and stimulating as well as active in fighting pulmonary bacteria. As a result they can be used for the treatment of both chronic and acute sinusitis and make a good natural remedy for those who prefer not to use over the counter medicines.
Not only are they effective, but they can be administered easily at home using inhalations, compresses, and diffusers, aiding overall well being and making your home smell fantastic. I’ve listed the top 10 essential oils for sinus to get you started.
It’s not necessary to know the exact cause of sinusitis to know which essential oils to use. This is because essential oils have many properties covering antimicrobial (to kill the bacteria), soothing (to relieve inflammation) and immunostimulant (to boost your immune system). They are also antiseptic, antiviral, pain-relieving, decongestant and good for clearing the head. These properties mean that the essential oils selected to treat sinusitis will have a positive effect regardless of the cause.
Top 10 Effective Essential Oils in the Treatment of Sinusitis
The following essential oils have properties great for treating the symptoms and causes of sinusitis.
- Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus) is good for all conditions of the respiratory system
- Ginger(Zingiber officinalis) is great for sinusitis and congestion
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) is excellent at fighting infection and treating sinusitis
- Lemon (Citrus limonum) is a strong antimicrobial agent and boosts the immune system
- Myrtle (Myrtus communis) is effective for fighting infection and for sinus problems
- Peppermint (Mentha piperita)relieves headaches and the symptoms of sinusitis
- Thyme (Thymus vulgaris) strengthens the immune system and treats colds and sinusitis
- Pine (Pinus sylvestris) is good for clearing infection and the airways
- Ravensara (Ravensara aromatica) is superb at fighting infection and dealing with sinusitis
- Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) is antimicrobial, great for cold and sinusitis symptoms and fighting infection
How do you apply essential oils in the treatment of sinusitis?
There are several methods of application of essential oils. Be sure to keep to the recipe. Essential oils both strong and effective in small doses and can be overwhelming and/ or irritating in large doses:
Add six drops of any combination of the above to a bowl of steaming water, cover head with towel and inhale for at least three minutes. Repeat two to three times per day. Limit use of thyme to one drop. This is the most effective method for promoting drainage and easing the localized pain
Add six drops of any combination of the above to a bowl of steaming water, soak a flannel (washcloth), wring out and apply warm flannel to the face or where you are experiencing pain. This is a great way to use the left over water from the inhalation
Mix seven drops of any combination of the above essential oils in 15ml carrier oil – apricot or almond oil are suitable – and massage onto back, neck and shoulders twice a day. This is a great way to boost the immune system and fortify the respiratory system
Diffuser or oil burner
Add drops of the essential oils above to your diffuser or oil burner
Top 10 essential oils for sinusitis- Conclusion
The soothing, drying and stimulating properties of essential oils combined with their ability to fight pulmonary bacteria make them very effective in the treatment of sinusitis. They can provide relief for both chronic and acute sinusitis.
Ensure that you source good quality essential oils from organic or bio-dynamic suppliers for the best results
With love, Vinma